Posting up movies to the video gallery
CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO TUTORIAL
You can upload movies through the admin of your site if they are under 8 MB - this works like uploading any image. Simply browse for your file and click the upload button. Keep in mind that this will take some time because the file is larger than a normal image - DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING ELSE WHILE THE FILE IS UPLOADING.
The instructions below are for files that exceed the maximum allowable file size of 8 MB.
1. Movie resolution: 320 x 240 px.
2. The filename SHOULD NOT include spaces.
3. Supported Formats: .mov, .wmv, .flv (flv is recommended).
FLV files are the only ones that will open within flash, the other two will open in a pop-up window.
You can get flv converters at the links listed here:
Riva converter: Free – has received pretty good reviews
Sorenson Squeeze - Not free but has a 1 month free trial – this is a plugin for Final Cut and has the best results.
FLV Hosting Encoder - Not as expensive as Sorenson but still costs money to install
How to upload videos if they exceed the maximum allowable file size through the admin of your site
Upload video via ftp – this is only necessary if your video files are larger than 8 MB ( This is the server limit for the Bludomain servers. If you are hosting with a non-bludomain server the limit can vary. The default on most servers is 2 MB. ) - You cannot ftp video files if your site is not live yet.
Before Uploading your movie:
1. enter name of video (exactly including the file extension) into database via the admin – be sure to upload the preview thumbnail in order to make the video accessible through the front end of your site.
2. log into your site via ftp
How do log on to my ftp server and post up a video to my site if I am on a PC?
1. Click on the start button at the bottom of your screen and find "my network places" (if it is not visible there you will need to go to your control panel and find it there.)
2. for the sake of easy access I recommend right clicking on the "my network places" icon and selecting "show on desktop"
3. Double click on the "my network places" icon and select "add a network place" under network tasks and click it
4. click next and select "choose another network location" then click next again
5. enter your ftp address like this: ftp://ftp.yourwebsiteaddress.com and click next
6. uncheck log on anonymously and enter the username given to you and click next
7. type in any name you wish to refer to your site (it will fill in a default name automatically but you can change that if you want). Click next.
8. make sure the there is a check next to where it says " Open this network place when I click finish " and click " finish "
9. a new window will open up - your username should be filled in automatically and below that you should enter the password given to you by your BluDomain representative. If you do not want to enter your password each time you can check the save password box and you will always have direct access to your site.
10. Once you fill in the appropriate information click " log on " and you will be in your website file storage area.
11. Once you enter your main directory simply double click on the www or public HTML directory and the go into the site_images folder, then to the video folder and upload the video of your choice.
How do log on to my ftp server and post up a video to my site if I am a MAC user ?
The most efficient way for MAC users to ftp files is by using a program named Fetch. It is simple to use and inexpensive. A free trial can be downloaded at this link :
- once the program is installed you enter your website address as the hostname and enter your usenrame and password as given to you by your BluDomain representative. Once you enter your main directory simply double click on the www or public HTML directory and the go into the site_images folder, then to the video folder and upload the video of your choice.
if you are uploading via the admin on your site (not through ftp) there is an 8 mb limit. This is the server limit for the Bludomain servers. If you are hosting with a non-bludomain server the limit can vary. The default on most servers is 2 MB.
Helpfull tips from www.cinematicbride.com
I find that the best solution for rendering your videos to a flv file is to use FLASHMX by adobe. When you install FlashMX to your computer weather Mac or PC it should install a plug in into your video editing software. So basically you should be able to go to render and select FlashMX as your export option and then click options.
The next step is to choose the file size you want to render it too. Don’t hesitate to go with a higher setting bludomain has made such a great player that the videos you see on bludomain or my site are 12 to 18 MB a piece. They have created a great player that buffers a lot faster than the standard player. My suggestion is to not go over 18 MB though, because it tends to start loading slower. Ok so lets say you have a clip that is five minutes long render it to 700Kbs in the flashmx controls. Make sure to set the frame size to 320x240 so that it fits into the bludomain player. Also no need to worry about people stealing your videos flash video files are embedded and cannot be downloaded from your server so no need to put your logo.
Always make sure you don’t use to much black or dark video. The reason being is that when you compress a video the video tends to darken. Also remember to leave a blank space in the beginning of the clip so that when it starts to play it does not play so fast.